29.1.18

#ARCReview: THE EDGE OF THE ABYSS by Emily Skrutskie

THE EDGE OF THE ABYSS

Author: Emily Skrutskie
Series: The Abyss Surrounds Us #2
Source: eARC via Publisher
Publisher: Flux
Publication Date: April 18, 2017
Rating: DNF @ 26%

Summary:
Three weeks have passed since Cassandra Leung pledged her allegiance to the ruthless pirate-queen Santa Elena and set free Bao, the sea monster Reckoner she’d been forced to train. The days as a pirate trainee are long and grueling, but it’s not the physical pain that Cas dreads most. It’s being forced to work with Swift, the pirate girl who broke her heart. 

But Cas has even bigger problems when she discovers that Bao is not the only monster swimming free. Other Reckoners illegally sold to pirates have escaped their captors and are taking the NeoPacific by storm, attacking ships at random and ruining the ocean ecosystem. As a Reckoner trainer, Cas might be the only one who can stop them. But how can she take up arms against creatures she used to care for and protect?

Will Cas embrace the murky morals that life as a pirate brings or perish in the dark waters of the NeoPacific?
Purchase:
Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this book and chose to review it. This in no way impacts my opinion on the novel.

Yikes. I generally don't write DNF reviews on here but this is one that I think y'all should see. Because I really liked THE ABYSS SURROUNDS US so this should have been a book I also really liked. But it was not. Where THE ABYSS SURROUNDS US had good worldbuilding, monsters, and charm, THE EDGE OF THE ABYSS felt like a whole other world and one that was devoid of joy.

The characters this time around were annoying to me. I thought that Cas and Swift's relationship was heading in the right direction before but this time around I was just frustrated. They were sorta happy, then fighting, then sorta happy again, then angsty just to add ~drama~ and at that point I realized this probably wasn't the book for me.

I rated this two stars on Goodreads so that my review would show up on the webpage, but man oh man. I feel as though if I had finished, I probably would have rated it one star. I did read some spoilers and there is a major character death that everyone said seemed forced so that would have probably docked a star for me.

I'm sure you're thinking: "But if you didn't finish, how can you talk about this book?" Well, I didn't finish because I thought the first 25% was terrible and I didn't want to even bother putting myself through the other 75%. So judge me and this review if you want, but I give zero cares except I don't mean cares.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I cherish each and every comment. If you leave me a link to your blog, I will do my best to comment back!